Preface to a book in draft, People at Work In Industrial Los Angeles or The City as a Composed Synergetic Syzygy


People at Work In Industrial Los Angeles or The City as a Composed Synergetic Syzygy

Contents
Preface
I.  On Syzygy Street, The City in Mind
            Analogy is Destiny
                        Thinking and Analogy Thinking for a Living
                                    Reading the Inscrutable; Writing to Go On in Life; Describing, …
                        Existential Doubts
                        Out of Brooklyn
II.  Composing the City
            Seeing and Hearing
                        Diego Rivera’s Detroit
            Projects:
Around Subway Stations, Neighborhoods as Transit-Oriented Development
                        Non-Fashion on the Streets of New York City
                        Rephotographing Marville’s Paris of 1870
            Placing Sound
            Words and Pictures
                        Talking-About to Make Sense
                        The Art of Describing
            Epilog
Appendix: Imaging Technology as Philosophy
            III.  A Composed Syzygy
                        The City as an Analogy
                        Thinking About Cities
                        The City in Gravity, An Analogy
                        The City as Nature (as in Natural Science)

            IV        A City of Immigrant Angels: People at Work in Industrial Los Angeles
                        200 photographs
            Epitome

            Notes

*****************************************************




Preface:
This book is ostensibly and in page-count photographs of people at work in industrial Los Angeles, California. Yet, it begins with about sixty-fivethousand words and perhaps twety-five thousand more on photographic technology and even some poetry—all about how I think or figure out what I am doing. I have come to believe, the latter motivate the former.  Of course, you are welcome to start with Chapter Three, or the preface to the photographs, or the photograph themselves. I cannot, and hence those sixty-tfive housand words.
I am a professor of city planning. I think for a living, trying to make sense of what is right in front of me. As a complement and a compliment, about twenty years ago I started to systematically photograph the city, my cities, Los Angeles and New York. At first, 800+ storefromt houses of worship—for Los Angeles is the Jerusalem of Pentecostalism. More recently, the neighborhoods around Subway stations in my natal city, New York City, often at the ends of the lines.
            I am thinking about how cities are represented, visually and aurally, and how to make those pictures and sound clips richly meaningful. How to talk about or write about what I see or hear is a challenge, at least for me. I have experimented by writing poems about paintings. In the appendix to the second chapter, I treat photographic technology as philosophic.
            What is striking is how pervasively a city is analogized to something else, sometimes something rather abstract and mathematical, sometimes a tree or a beehive. The city seems to welcome a wide range of analogies, it is so difficult to get one’s arms around it.
            As for the title: a syzygy is an analogy of analogies, synergetic refers to the surprising consequences and meanings of such syzygies, and composition is the fact that the diverse aspects of a city hold together, for the city is an identity in a manifold presentation of profiles.

The lesson here is that thinking is fruitful, but the fruit it bears are more about ourselves than the city itself, its remaining autonomous, escaping our arms. Yet, what we can get hold of is for us a revelation of our culture and knowledge.




I. On Syzygy Street: The City in Mind

  Good. Give me one example. That was for me: I can't understand anything unless I'm carrying along in my mind a specific example and watching it go. Some people think in the beginning that I'm kind of slow and I don't understand the problem, because I ask a lot of these "dumb" questions.  Is a cathode plus or minus? Is an ion this way, or that way?
But later, when the guy’s in the middle of a bunch of equations, he'll say something and I'll say, “Wait a minute! There's an error! That can't be right!
The guy looks at his equations, and sure enough, after a while, he finds the mistake and wonders, “How the hell did this guy, who hardly understood at the beginning, find that mistake in the mess of all these equations?”
He thinks I’m following the steps mathematically, but that's not what I'm doing. I have the specific physical example of what he’s trying to analyze, and I know from instinct and experience the properties of the thing. So when the equation says it should behave so-and-so, and I know that’s the wrong way around, I jump up and say, "Wait! There's a mistake.” [i] (R. P. Feynman)


I think for a living, figuring out the world so that it makes sense for me: analogy and analytic description are my modes. Whatever is in my air—ideas, notions, reading,…--may condense into a project. I work busily on condensation, but I must be patient for the appearance of the condensate and its orderliness.
By having a variety of perspectives or analogies onto a situation, whether it be social or economic or cultural, in effect something like a computer aided tomogram (a CAT scan), I get a better sense of that situation, and I am more likely to feel I really understand it. Yet, there will be blind spots or aspects I cannot get hold of, nonetheless.
I’ve always been trying to figure out (some of) the world.

Or, put differently, albeit saying much the same:
It seems that I think in terms of analogy, and analogies of analogies (what is called a “syzygy”). The idea is to try to get at what is really going on, behind all the rigamarole, by seeing what is going on from various perspectives, an “identity in a manifold presentation of profiles.” I want to figure out the world I encounter, make sense of it, albeit imperfectly, in terms of what I already understand.
None of this is abstract. Always, a small number of ideas or models or notions are in mind and employed. They are diverse but for me they are at hand, given my training and earlier work.

Surely, this book is about how one person thinks and understands the world. In part, there was that remark from my ninth grade English teacher, Mr. Webb, who told me that I think in analogies. Who knew? In part, I am the guy who is a perpetual outsider, and wants to be let in, and so I pay close attention in a seminar or in reading a paper, trying to figure out as soon as possible, What’s Up? I have little patience, as such, and I like to try to figure out what is going on, then and there. And I am willing to ask a speaker, Do I understand what you are doing, by saying…?  




[i]. R. P. Feynman and R. Leighton, Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman. Norton,1985, p. 224.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Caro as a Model

Micro and Macro

Plagiarism