Micro and Macro

  1.  The standout part of the Harrassment Training was the video on microaggressions
  2. My version of that is when I am said to be intellectual and smart. Often it is less a compliment than a microaggression. I first recall being told I was smart when I was an assistant professor, by a friend/colleague, and it was meant as a genuine description--I had always known really talented people since I was exposed to them from places other than my high school, and then in college. I surely was  and am not in their league, neither so smart or sophisticated.
  3. We know that "smart" or other such terms were used to describe Jewish academics, and it was generally not at all a compliment, meaning uncouth and just intelligent. The Soviet Union specialized in this as did the Third Reich, so supplying the US with some of its greatest scientists and mathematicians. In general, until about 1955-1960 the Ivies were not exact so welcoming of Jews, for which see Karabel, The Chosen.https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-History-Admission-Exclusion-Princeton/dp/061877355X/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=harvard+yale+ivy+jewish+jes&qid=1575824114&sr=8-1-fkmr2)  "Jews" often meant other ethnic/racial groups and women. 
  4. As for Macro: "Affirmative action," at least until about 1960, and likely still, has been mostly about those proverbial White Protestant Men--although fully qualified for the most part--never had to compete with "Jews." In any case, gays, women, blacks, etc, saved the humanities disciplines over the last thirty years.
  5. Also, there is macroeconomics and the Treasury, not to speak of Departments of State, Defense, Agriculture, Interior, perhaps Justice, whose policy issues are not much touched at many policy schools. I am not sure we can afford to allow for such lacunae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Robert Caro as a Model

Plagiarism